Thursday, April 2, 2009

Tahitian Wedding Trip

Last week I was in Tahiti again. This was Tahiti trip #7 for me, #4 for Zana and #2 for Zeth. It was amazing as usual and we had a truly rockin' time. Here's how it all began... We arrived around 10p on Saturday 3/21. Bro-In-Law, Teamo and Vearea treated everyone to steak-frites for a midnight snack at home in Arue. Nothing like eating 2 pounds of steak and french fries smothered in garlic butter and Tahitian BBQ sauce before going to bed. Church started at 8a on Sunday and we were all there on time amazingly. I peeked in on Zana in the Primary room and saw her tired and confused face trying to stay awake and understand everything. Nothing like diving into the French language to make your head swim a bit. After church, the whole family went to B-I-L Alban & Heiva's house in Mahina for lunch. I went fishing in their aquarium full of fish & black pearls but didn't catch any. Pearls, that is. Spoiled fish. Monday we swam at the beach in the backyard and just enjoyed being with everyone in Arue. Of course we had a great big Family Home Evening that night.


My F-I-L Iosua, S-I-L Helo, nephew Hono, Ram, our kids & I took the 6a ferry over to Moorea on Tuesday 3/24 just for the day. We visited family, made sure everyone was invited to the wedding on Friday, raided the trees for food and picniked at cousin Nicole's gorgeous beach and were back in time for a charming 5-course dinner at S-I-L Marau & Marc's house that evening. My makeup and jewelry purse was left behind on the boat and not returned. I thought my wedding ring was in the bag and I was pretty devastated about losing it. But then while doing laundry the next day, I discovered I had dropped it into my pocket at the beach rather than putting in my bag like I normally do. Such a great relief. The makeup and other jewelry are replacable but I'm quite attached to my wedding ring and count it as a miracle and blessing that I didn't lose it.

Wed morning 3/25 it rained so we just relaxed at home then went out for sandwiches at the Roulotte in Pirae. So yum. Marau taught the moms a dance for the reception then since the sun was out, we hit the beach again. Wed night we were invited across the road to celebrate Reo Bennett's birthday with their family. All were there except Vaite who is living in the Tuamotus currently and arrived later that week. Fun family fact: cousins Reo & Marau were born just hours apart and both turned 24 that day. It was great to see Noelani & Hiro, Erroline, Jill, Naea and all the rest and catch up with them again.

On Thursday we decorated the Faaa Stake Center for the reception pretty much all day then met up with friends at the Temple for a session and dinner at the Vaiete roulotte after where we ran into even more BYUH alum friends. My first college roommate, Isabelle, works at the church office in Faaa and organized the whole gathering. That night we ate with and ran into Isabelle & Theirry and their 5 boys; Antonio & Lotis and thier 4-boys; Antonio's sister Rava & her family; Vaitea and Maureen Ah Sha & Michel Pedron. It was a busy night on the waterfront and so good to see all of them again.


The main reason for this vacation was for my bro-in-law's wedding. I know parents aren't supposed to pick favorites but siblings are allowed and Ronald is definately my favorite B-I-L. He's so like my Ram in many ways and it's been so fun to watch him grow up and now to become a husband. his wife is super sweet and they are a darling couple. It was a great wedding.


The reception was fun too. The young girls, including Zana, danced an aparima (slow dance) then the moms, including moi, danced another aparima. I was kinda busy enjoying myself during the reception so I didn't take as many pictures as I wish I had now but it was after the reception during the clean up that turned out to be the funnest part of the day. Once we took down the thousands of balloons we'd adorned the hall with, the kids were quick to turn them into a sea of squeals, pops and giggles as they ran haphazardly in large globs all over the room. It was after midnight and I was suprised any of them were still awake after the long hot day they'd had but the frenzied balloon mele went on for a good 15-minutes before Auntie Marau started removing sections to attach to the cars to be transported home. I giggled nearly constantly the entire 25 minute trip back home each time we passed a coupling of balloons that had blown loose from one of the other cars ahead of us. We littered the streets of Papeete with dozens of balloons that night. It was quite the celebration.

Our kids were perfect little travellers even all the way home on the red-eye flight from 11:45p to 5:25a (Tahiti is in the same time zone as Hawaii) with the 4-of us crammed into 3 seats. I was truly impressed. It was such a fun week and time well spent.

1 comment:

Alloro said...

Wow!!! What an amazing trip for you guys. Truly living in paradise. :) And I'm SOOO glad you didn't lose your wedding ring!