Thursday, December 3, 2009

Where'd Nov Go?

Wait.. are you serious..? Where did November go?? It can't possibly already be December, can it? Sooooo busy at work and it's just gonna keep getting worse for the next month or so. We're upgrading our PeopleSoft system from 8.9 to 9.0 and that alone is a real big deal. Lots of setup, configuring and testing, testing, testing. But on top of that, as if that project wasn't enough, we're also replacing my beloved Kronos Workforce Central system which I've been in charge of for the past 12-years with Timelink biometric time clocks and implementing PeopleSoft Time & Labor as well. That's an even bigger deal for me. Everything goes live between Dec 20-28 so we're in the final stretch but it seems like we'll never be ready at this point still. Then there's the post-production support to figure out when new problems arise how to fix them so I don't expect January to slow down much. It's all part of the job and it's just good to have a job to do. I'm so grateful for an awesome boss and really incredible co-workers. I'm on a really great team right now so it's all good. This will probably sound like a foreign language for most but for some moronic reason, I need to remember how crazy my life is at this moment and why exactly it is so.

I've been doing employee training sessions and timeclock hardware installation coordinations and system design and tons of system setup and documentation and learning so many new things in the past month it's hard to keep it all straight. My brains feel like scrambled eggs most of the time lately which is a really bad thing because now at crunch time is when I should be able to make critical analysis and decisions and step it up. It's after 10p right now and I'm still at work (I did take a 2-hr dinner break with the family which was fun) but I'm just so burned out tonight that I thought I'd take a mental break to blog a little bit since it really has been too long. I really just don't have the time to get to the gym much these days and I miss it dearly but I have played volleyball a few times which is all new for me since it's been decades since I last played any V-ball and I did go for a 5-mile run Thanksgiving morning with my 25K pal Kathy. I have a babysitter lined up for this Saturday at 5a so Ram and I can go for a nice run together before our chapel cleanup assignment at 7a.

So at the elementary school annual "Turkey Trot" last month, we had high hopes that Zana would somehow improve on past performances but it was not to be. At around the 2/3 mark she was sadly in the back of the pack. That's OK, not a natural runner but then again I never was as a kid either, and we had just learned the day before the reason for her horrible stomach aches and random fever spikes was due to a bladder infection so she wasn't firing on all cylinders for sure. But for her sake I really wanted her to do well. She started out doing a decent pace and we fully expected her to pick it up at the end when the other kids started burning out. However, while rounding the last corner, a fairly hefty girl and she got tangled up somehow and she ended up losing that battle. Flat on her face she went as all the rest of the turkeys in 2nd grade went trotting over the finish line. With her scraped up shins, she never did cross the finish line this year but she got a lot of TLC from moi and a Spam musubi from Dad so that dried up the tears and made her feel like the winner we know she is. Later that night she shined in in two different Tahitian dance performances with her group, Oriata.

Zeth, well that kid is just too much. He sings along to the radio regularly. Loves Bob Marley music - just like his dad. Is unable to hear the word 'stop' in any language or volume. He is super high energy and just a rowdy darling funny little boy. LOVES football, basketball, soccerball (his term) and any other type of ball game there is. He is working on potty training but it's gonna be a long road I fear cause he's just not that committed to it - and quite frankly we need to spend some serious time with him on it which we haven't had consistently lately. He likes to pull the "I go potty chair" card but as soon as he's half naked he changes his mind and just wants to run around naked as long as he can manage it. I tried to break him of his bottle habit but gave up after a few days and noisy miserable nights. Some kids have blankets, some kids play with ears or bra straps, his comfort item, especially while slurping the bottle, is to play with my hair which I find completely endearing but sometimes impractical. He loves smearing on the chap stick or as he calls it 'lips mommy' and will apply it continuously for about 10-minutes straight before he'll hand it back over. He loves COLD water baths and gets annoyed with me when I add warm water. It's totally mental if you ask me but I figure he is just so revved up all the time I guess it feels good to cool off sometimes - even on cool nights. I don't get it personally.

We spent our fourth Thanksgiving at the BYUH Ballroom with the singles ward Ram is still serving in. We think they may be released very soon so it was kinda bittersweet to spend this last big holiday with the students we've come to know and love. Christmas came early this year for us. Our 10-year-old 27" tube TV was on its last vapors so on Black Friday we went out and scored us a new 42" LCD TV. So we're just gonna stick a big bow on that for mom & dad this year. Zana said her #1 wish list item is a Wii. I cringed when she said it and asked what else is on her list. I think she said something like barbie dolls but she hasn't even played with the 2 we got her last year so maybe I'll just wrap those up again and see if she even notices. Evil mommy. She's a clothes and jewelry kind of girl already so I'll probably go that route. Don't think we'll be investing in any more electronic toys this year. For Zeth, that's easy, sports stuff.

For Zana's 7th birthday coming up on the 19th, she wants to go to Chuck E. Cheeze, glow putt and the water park. We might make it to one of them. She asked for pumpkin pie for her birthday which totally surprised me cause every time we're at Costco she points out her new favorite birthday cake on the bakery racks. She's such a little stick figure that she still wears some of her size 5 clothes even though they are way short on her but they're still perfect going around so some of her favorite pants are now capris.

OK so I learned from a very dear friend about an alternative way to post photos to my blog since Blogger has let me know I'm nearly out of space. So I'll try adding a link to an album of Nov 2009 photos here and call it a night.

No comments: