Monday, November 22, 2010

Thankful

It’s Thanksgiving week and my thoughts are turning to gratitude so here’s what I’m thankful for most today. I am thankful for family, for the Laie Temple rededication this past weekend and that we have a beautiful, open temple just 3 miles from home again. I am thankful for loving birth mothers and the joy they contribute to our lives through our adorable children.

I am thankful that at age 3, Zeth is officially potty trained now, that he wakes up happy most mornings and his sense of humor usually wakes up when he does. I am thankful he likes singing church songs in the dark with me before falling asleep. I am thankful that he wanted to give the turtles a special breakfast yesterday so he poured 3-months’ worth of turtle food in the tank for them to enjoy an early Thanksgiving feast and they didn’t explode before I fished out the uneaten portion we discovered covering the surface. I am thankful he loves to be independent especially when putting on his shoes, opening doors and helping himself to the contents of the fridge. I am thankful that he is not as picky about most food as his older sister and regularly compliments my meals as ‘the best dinner ever’ even when it is frozen dino nuggets. I am thankful he will be starting formal preschool on 12/01/10 but Auntie Mary Jo will still take care of him on holidays and school breaks.

I am thankful for our sweet Zana who received the Super Raider award for the month of October today for being a good student. I am thankful she is such a remarkable little person and I get to watch her grow every day and be her mom. I am thankful that she loves playing soccer and even more that she is learning to play the piano. I am thankful that she’ll be 8 in less than a month and is looking forward to getting baptized. I’m thankful that she’s starting to understand what a testimony is and recognize her own testimony growing. I am thankful that she actually loves her turtles and that getting them turned out to be a good thing, I think.

I am really thankful I survived my marathon training peak-week by completing a 5-mile run Mon, 10-miles Tues, a 1-mile swim Wed, another 5-mi run Thurs and finally a 20-mile run Saturday morning. That’s my longest run ever and I did it in 3:45 and it actually felt good! The rest of the day my body was in a strange state of fatigue & shock but I didn’t get injured and my confidence for the marathon is way up now. I’m really thankful that I get to taper my training runs for the next 3 weeks and should start feeling stronger again as a result.

When I first committed to running my first marathon this year six months ago back on June 7th I had just recently learned my faithful training partner, Kathy, was expecting #4 and wouldn’t be able to join me. (Little Matuatua just arrived on 11/5 – congrats Pulotus!) That was a major disappointment because I knew I’d fail in my training if I were doing this alone. So the answer to my prayers came from a casual acquaintance I’ve known for several years who decided to join me after a chance conversation one day. Lisa and I have been doing all our long runs together on Tuesday and Saturday mornings for the past 3 months. Having a training partner to push and encourage is an invaluable blessing. The other blessing I can’t overlook that I am so thankful for is my faithful mentor, Ram, who kicks me out of bed by 4:30a when necessary and graciously adjusted his normal morning exercise routine to accommodate my schedule. Last Saturday he went above and beyond by bringing the kids in the truck at 5a to follow Lisa and I on our 20-mile run providing light on some of the very dark stretches with no streetlights where our flashlights were not as effective and carrying our water and energy gels so we didn’t have to lug them the whole way. It was awesome having my own little cheering section waiting for us every 2-3 miles with water and encouragement. Their support made such a difference for me and I’m so thankful for them.

No comments: