Friday, June 29, 2012

Big Cars, Big Tithing, & Big Hair


Brodyssey
After driving my 1999 Honda Accord EX-L for 12 years, it was at that point where it was in need of some major maintenance to keep it running and looking good but I have no interest in driving a rolling maintenance project so it was time to go.  I was raised in cars being rebuilt and maintained weekly by my grease monkey dad to keep them going.  I made a promise to myself when I left home I’d never drive a wreck again; of course I broke that promise when we bought our first “Laie car” for $200 as newlyweds 19-years ago, but I digress.   

I shopped for 6 months checking regularly with several sites, got on the call list with a couple of dealers who would check in with me every time they got something in they thought I might like.  I was very particular about what I wanted and determined to get the right car at the right price to last me another decade if necessary.  In May the planets aligned and two viable options at two dealers came up.  It gave me the boldness to ask for what I thought was a great deal and do some real negotiating that I would not have thought possible.  I asked for a ridiculously low amount and rather than slam the door in my face, they both came back with better counter offers than I thought I’d ever get.  I settled on my beautiful blue 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L for about $6,000 less than they were asking (@dealers cost + $100) and the whole family is so happy with my new van.

The registration expires this month so I kept waiting for the renewal forms to come in the mail.  To my delight, this week I received the Title along with the Registration form and the $400 sticker good for another year already paid.  What an unexpected surprise.  Tony Honda Waipio really won another customer in me.  I nicknamed my new van the Brodyssey.

Tithing
I’ve always had a pretty easy time with the law of tithing so it surprised me when last week I was tempted to not pay tithing on the $2,000 I got for selling my old car to a friend.  I wasn’t sure it was technically considered income or an ‘increase’ because if I had traded it in it I wouldn’t consider the reduction on the overall price of my new car as income; but I sold it to a friend for cash instead so the money changed hands and I received a check rather than a credit.  It was one of those things where it was a grey area and I was rationalizing that it was not really income but an offset to the cost of my new car.  Anyway, I quickly decided it is always better to err on the side of caution and put my faith and the Lord first.  The verse in Malachi 3:10 came to mind and made my decision much easier, “…prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.”

Five-days later I received a check for $195 in the mail from the condo association we belonged to before we sold our condo in Arizona a year ago.  Turns out they had overcharged us for something at some point and just figured it out.  There was no way I would have ever expected that and I know it was a blessing being poured out for being faithful.  The best part, because it’s a refund from being overcharged, I really don’t need to pay tithing on this check.  

Haircut
Ram was not too thrilled with me after I cut Zeth’s hair on Sunday.  We had been just letting it grow for the past 9 months and it had gotten kind of gnarly, tangly, & crazy but was very back/bottom heavy and not as full on top so it was not doing much for him and was a beast to try to detangle.  Anyway apparently the several talks & lessons at church & FHE this month about modesty and appropriate appearances got into his head and when Zeth asked me to cut it, I made the exec decision to do it.  He has been begging me to style his hair in a sort of faux-hawk like all the boys are doing these days but that just wasn’t working out.  I left it long on top but trimmed everything else so now he can almost achieve what I’ve termed a fro-hawk.  He’s a happy & handsome kid.

Here's a before shot of the Z-fro and Zana trying on the costume I just finished making for her Tahitian group performance.  My favorite part is the t-shirt which is not actually a part of the costume but reads: "Fabulous like my Mom"  haha. 

Pineapples
One of the cool things about living in Hawaii is sticking a pineapple top back in the ground and growing your own pineapple plant.  It's such a low maintenance plant that even I have a hard time killing them with my neglect.  It takes about 2 years to produce 1 fruit.  We had two grow at the same time and we just ate them.  So cute.


No comments: