So this is not to brag or pat myself of the back but more to remind myself of a good thing that happened this past week. I have been reading some of my friends blogs and noticed how many service opportunities they've been having and started feeling (rather strongly) that I need to do some special service - outside of the regular service I am accustomed to doing. So with everthing else going on in my life, I started thinking on what I could do to satisfy this urge. It's December so there's no shortage of opportunities to help the less fortunate if I just look around - right?
So literally, it was Wed night I started feeling this and the very next night as I was rushing home from work through the rain with a trunk full of groceries and an aerobics class to get to in 15 minutes, the city bus stopped in front of me and off steps an elderly lady from my ward who I don't really know but recognized. The Spirit wispered to me, "here's your opportunity, how sincere are you?" So as the bus pulled away, I pulled over to where she was surveying how to cross the large puddle (it was more like a small lake), to walk up the road to her home. I offered her a ride and she was so grateful. I made it home, got the groceries unloaded, kissed the kids and hubby, changed clothes and dashed off to aerobics. By some celestial twist of luck, the teacher had been delayed and our class started a bit late so I only missed half the warm-up.
It sure feels good to recognize the promptings of the Holy Spirit and even better when I act on them. I realized that night that doing service doesn't mean you have to sign up for a committee or a large-scale event. I do some sort of service daily but I think I overlook a lot of it because it's with people I interact with regularly. Reaching out to a stranger helped me recognize that.
3 comments:
That's so cool that you had the perfect chance right when you were thinking about it! I'm glad you got to do that.
-Bonnie ♥
Hey Kim... just popped over for a quick update on your little family, and thought I would say Hi! :) Loved your story of doing service! What a great example!
Thanks for the note Jen! Your blog was one of the catalysts which inspired me recently on this subject specifically. It's easy to make excuses that you don't know how to help or who to align yourself with but there's always something we can do to give of ourselves if we just look for the opportunity.
Post a Comment