Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Birthdays, Holiday & Gems

I have started a family tradition of making birthday crepe cakes for breakfast on birthdays in our home. Last week for Ram's #42 I was just wiped out the morning of his birthday and didn't get it all together in time. He said it was fine and that he doesn't like eating breakfast anyway (true) so not to worry about it. Well I had been planning and guess I had something sweet and sinful on my mind so I surprised him and brought him pancakes and french toast at work instead. Hit the spot. We had planned to go out on a date that night after work and arranged a sitter but then her plans changed and she couldn't make it. So I found another willing sitter at the last minute but Ram said he was too tired to go out and would rather stay home. I prodded a bit further just to be sure that's really what he wanted to do but finally and gratefully agreed that a relaxing night at home sounded way more enticing than going out. What a couple of old fogies!

There's this little island about 50 yds off the coast of Hukilau Beach that can be walked to over a sharp coral reef. At low tide the water is about waist deep. High tide brings it up around the shoulders. Ram's singles ward planned a pic-nik there last Saturday. So we got up early and cooked some food to send over but weren't planning to make the trek with the kids..until we got there and discovered someone brought a boat to take the food and us very young & old folks over. YAY! So we spent 5 hours at the beach Saturday without really even planning to and the day turned out to be spectacular.
Thanks to Zeth we have a new family-favorite saying (to add to the long list of precious gems from Steve Martin's Pink Panther movie which is quoted from daily in our family). At his daycare, there is one little girl who is a fairly regular cry-baby. One day recently Zeth had had about enough of the wailing and sternly pointed a finger at her and said "Emma, shut it. Get a book." Little did he know we'd be turning that darling little gem around and telling him to 'get a book' any time he starts tantruming. For now it seems to perplex him just enough to break the mood.

Yesterday his daycare 'auntie' was bending over to get something and little Mr. Opportunist walked up and played her bottom like a set of bongo drums chanting "Boo-ty. Boo-ty." She turned around and told him he was a little rascal at which he squealed with delight and ran away giggling.

Zana is thrilled that she is noticing one of her teeth starting to act like it may be getting loose. She's been desperately wanting to lose her baby teeth for several months and is quite jealous of her friends who have already entered that phase of life. So she's been watching and waiting for this happy day. In all honesty it's not wiggling at all but she's convinced it's moving so what do I know. So now as a parent, what do you do with baby teeth once the tooth fairy has retrieved them for a quarter? (As a kid I think they were worth a penny or a nickel so I'm adjusting for inflation here.) I'm inclined to just chuck em but I'm new to this so anything creative you've heard of would be welcome feedback. However, I don't think any of us will be adorning ourselves with periodontal jewelry if you were going to suggest that route.

Caught Zeth helping himself to a Memorial Day bedtime snack and just couldn't resist a few shots.

What's really strange about this is that he normally doesn't like eating bread at all. Watch out Mr. Appetite.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such a fun update! I love the pix and the kid quotes. thanks for the visit tonight! ~j