Well whaddyaknow? It’s my half birthday again and so far this week I’ve received not one but TWO half birthday cakes.
Seems like some of my dear ones want me to know they love me and to put some more pounds on before my big 4-0 later this year. Big mahalo to Kathy for the carrot cake and to Ram for the double chocolate cake. I feel so loved. I want to send a birthday shout out to my bro-in-law, Teamo, in Tahiti who turned 39 today. We’ll be enjoying some cake for you today bro.
Too many great things happened in Feb to not mention. Visits from Joan & David Peffley and from Debbie White & Derek Wall made for lots of fun memories. Joan is a cousin who I knew of but never met before and just got to know over the internet a couple months ago.
Even at age 70 is so spry and quick she deceives her true age. It was such a treat for both of us to spend some time together over their 3-week trip here. Our family tree is really skinny with several one-child generations between us so relatives are hard to come by. We bonded and got along splendidly. I also got to meet Joan’s son, Rod & his wife, Christine Miller who were here for a few days on a business/anniversary trip together. What an unexpected treat for me. We went to the PCC luau and night show with the whole gang, had shrimp dinner plates at home another night and spent some time at Bellows AFB Beach cabins in beautiful Waimanalo with them over one weekend.
Rod and Chris were constantly on the go and really packed in a lot of action on their trip. I hope they are recovered from their vacation by now. Joan’s husband David was lots of fun too and taught us a new card game called 9-Hole Golf which made for some lively and character-revealing hours of fun with them and with Zana who has no shortage of beginners luck. The kids loved having them around and we hope to figure out a way to take a trip to visit them in Monterrey someday soon. No trips on the horizon for us as of now though.
The day after Joan and David flew home to CA, Nana Debbie & her grandson Derek (my BFF’s middle child) arrived from UT for a quick 4-day winter break. We wasted no time getting them pumped full of Matsumoto’s Shave Ice. We went to a BYUH men’s basketball game which the home team won and everyone got free Founders Week celebration cake following the game. We snorkeled at Turtle Bay and actually saw a turtle.
Ate monster burgers at Kua Aina in Hale Iwa (something we typically only do when we have visitors so it’s a treat for us) followed by more Matsumotos. We watched the monstrous winter waves pounding the shores. It was so great to see both of them. Derek was here as a baby but had no real memories of Oahu so it was great for him to come get a taste of life here and hopefully he will be back again someday to visit or maybe even attend school??? Zeth was totally attached to Derek who was such a great sport about playing with & entertaining him.
Debbie & Derek made a fabulous dinner for us one night during their stay with Shake-n-Bake pork chops and a new star was born. We love pork but it normally comes out too dry when I bake or fry it. The S-n-B coating was a hit and took care of the moisture problem. That stuff has been around since I was a kid but I’m such a creature of habit I never thought to try it. Love it when we find a new quick-n-easy dinner option. Ram actually baked S-n-B pork this week for FHE and it turned out onolicious. We have a new shopping list item.
I ran the Great Aloha Run a week ago. Did not expect to set a PR (Personal Record) for my time because honestly since the marathon, I haven’t been all that crazy about running and maybe only ran once per week for the past 2-months. So having not trained for the 8-mi race, I was pleasantly surprised that I got my second best time ever at 1:21 which was just about 5 minutes slower than last year which I did train for.
I intended to start out at a nice leisurely 11-min/mi pace then try to slowly speed up over the course. My adrenaline and competitive spirit got the best of me and I ran mile 1 in 9:03. So much for plan-A. Guess some of my marathon training helped me out there but by the end I was really pushing myself hard and it was not as easy a race as it should have been. I am still fighting off some of my PMS – Post Marathon Syndrome. I’ll be back eventually but it’s been good to take a break from so much running and just do other stuff like volleyball and swimming instead. This Saturday I have a 5k trail run for the elementary school. I know that one will kick me in the pants because hills are not my forte.
I sprained my right index finger a week ago and playing volleyball. I won the point with my 1-finger spike so it was worth it. If I didn’t win that point, I’d be a bitter woman today. Happily, I’m anything but bitter about it but recognize that I’m way too competitive for my own good. It’s been interesting trying to adapt and do things like type with 9 fingers at work all week. Ironically it’s making my neck sore. Any little change in one’s normal repetitive motion has consequences.
Last week after reading stories with the kids, I was giving Zana a backrub and had my back turned to Zeth so he quickly decided to give me his signature karate chop-style massage too. It actually felt good because my back was pretty sore from pushing myself so hard on my race on Monday. Then Zana asked me for a head massage so I started scratching her scalp and Zeth pipes up, "I'll give you a head massage too Mommy!" and proceeds to bore his own cranium straight into my spine and roll it around. Then he decided to give me a foot massage instead and starts thumping my back with his feet. He's so thoughtful. I was in tears...of laughter & some pain.
Zana started gymnastics classes again about 2-months ago after taking a year off.
At first I was seriously concerned about her strength and flexibility. Even her friends would point out to her bluntly that she is really great at dancing but not so good at gymnastics. I was worried she’d let that get to her and want to quit. I’m happy to say my fears were unfounded, rather than giving up, she’s turned into a whirling dervish. Constantly doing handstands, kart-wheels, walk-overs, and stretching. Her strength, stability, and coordination have dramatically improved with all her “homework.” Honestly I don’t know why seeing her efforts paying off shocked me so much when I, of all people, know what regular training can do. It’s just great to see her doing so much better when her friend’s negative feedback could have really gotten her down.
I bought a new Canon PowerShot A2200 camera a few weeks ago. It’s a step down in quality from my lost one but it is so much better than my phone camera or nothing at all. I was half expecting to find my old camera the day after the new one arrived which is part of the reason I bought a cheaper replacement but no such luck. It’s just fun to have photos to share again.
Our whole family is hooked on a TV series called Merlin that we are streaming over Netflix. I’ve always been a sucker for Camelot stories and this is a really well done series. So nice to be able to escape commercials on TV. Anyway, Zeth has been learning lots about etiquette and has begun bowing to me, calling me titles like “My Lady” and “Your Highness,” and giving me the royal treatment. Finally, getting the recognition I deserve. Ha!
Too many great things happened in Feb to not mention. Visits from Joan & David Peffley and from Debbie White & Derek Wall made for lots of fun memories. Joan is a cousin who I knew of but never met before and just got to know over the internet a couple months ago.
Even at age 70 is so spry and quick she deceives her true age. It was such a treat for both of us to spend some time together over their 3-week trip here. Our family tree is really skinny with several one-child generations between us so relatives are hard to come by. We bonded and got along splendidly. I also got to meet Joan’s son, Rod & his wife, Christine Miller who were here for a few days on a business/anniversary trip together. What an unexpected treat for me. We went to the PCC luau and night show with the whole gang, had shrimp dinner plates at home another night and spent some time at Bellows AFB Beach cabins in beautiful Waimanalo with them over one weekend.
Rod and Chris were constantly on the go and really packed in a lot of action on their trip. I hope they are recovered from their vacation by now. Joan’s husband David was lots of fun too and taught us a new card game called 9-Hole Golf which made for some lively and character-revealing hours of fun with them and with Zana who has no shortage of beginners luck. The kids loved having them around and we hope to figure out a way to take a trip to visit them in Monterrey someday soon. No trips on the horizon for us as of now though.The day after Joan and David flew home to CA, Nana Debbie & her grandson Derek (my BFF’s middle child) arrived from UT for a quick 4-day winter break. We wasted no time getting them pumped full of Matsumoto’s Shave Ice. We went to a BYUH men’s basketball game which the home team won and everyone got free Founders Week celebration cake following the game. We snorkeled at Turtle Bay and actually saw a turtle.
Ate monster burgers at Kua Aina in Hale Iwa (something we typically only do when we have visitors so it’s a treat for us) followed by more Matsumotos. We watched the monstrous winter waves pounding the shores. It was so great to see both of them. Derek was here as a baby but had no real memories of Oahu so it was great for him to come get a taste of life here and hopefully he will be back again someday to visit or maybe even attend school??? Zeth was totally attached to Derek who was such a great sport about playing with & entertaining him.Debbie & Derek made a fabulous dinner for us one night during their stay with Shake-n-Bake pork chops and a new star was born. We love pork but it normally comes out too dry when I bake or fry it. The S-n-B coating was a hit and took care of the moisture problem. That stuff has been around since I was a kid but I’m such a creature of habit I never thought to try it. Love it when we find a new quick-n-easy dinner option. Ram actually baked S-n-B pork this week for FHE and it turned out onolicious. We have a new shopping list item.
I ran the Great Aloha Run a week ago. Did not expect to set a PR (Personal Record) for my time because honestly since the marathon, I haven’t been all that crazy about running and maybe only ran once per week for the past 2-months. So having not trained for the 8-mi race, I was pleasantly surprised that I got my second best time ever at 1:21 which was just about 5 minutes slower than last year which I did train for.
I sprained my right index finger a week ago and playing volleyball. I won the point with my 1-finger spike so it was worth it. If I didn’t win that point, I’d be a bitter woman today. Happily, I’m anything but bitter about it but recognize that I’m way too competitive for my own good. It’s been interesting trying to adapt and do things like type with 9 fingers at work all week. Ironically it’s making my neck sore. Any little change in one’s normal repetitive motion has consequences.
Last week after reading stories with the kids, I was giving Zana a backrub and had my back turned to Zeth so he quickly decided to give me his signature karate chop-style massage too. It actually felt good because my back was pretty sore from pushing myself so hard on my race on Monday. Then Zana asked me for a head massage so I started scratching her scalp and Zeth pipes up, "I'll give you a head massage too Mommy!" and proceeds to bore his own cranium straight into my spine and roll it around. Then he decided to give me a foot massage instead and starts thumping my back with his feet. He's so thoughtful. I was in tears...of laughter & some pain.
Zana started gymnastics classes again about 2-months ago after taking a year off.
I bought a new Canon PowerShot A2200 camera a few weeks ago. It’s a step down in quality from my lost one but it is so much better than my phone camera or nothing at all. I was half expecting to find my old camera the day after the new one arrived which is part of the reason I bought a cheaper replacement but no such luck. It’s just fun to have photos to share again.
1 comment:
Kaslimb! Awesome update!!! ♥
Post a Comment