Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mother's Lentils


Mother’s Day

Before motherhood finally came my way, Mother’s Day used to be such a painful experience for me.  Happily the pendulum has swung to the other end and this year was such a blissful day.  It was simple but happy.  It started out with breakfast in bed which Zana helped make – and eat.  A gorgeous “Christina” orchid lei, pot of happy mums, and handmade cards from the kids made the morning very special.  Off to church where the youth took over teaching all the Primary classes so the women could all attend Relief Society for a change.  The bishopric came through brilliantly with roses and heart shaped gourmet brownies for all the women in the ward. 

But rewind to Saturday when the kids asked what I wanted as a gift, my reply was a whole day with no fighting, arguing, or whining.  I realized that in order for my wish to be granted, I couldn’t just sit back and allow them to govern and entertain themselves but I had to stay actively engaged with them.  So I did my part and we kept busy but relaxed all day.  There were several times Zana had to take some deep breaths to not give in to Zeth’s prodding for a response and I was so proud she did it.  They were so well behaved and mannered all day right up until 8:00p when Zeth needed a bath and Zana asked to join him.  Water toys gave way to splashing which gave way to a water fight which ended up with a ball in the eye and Zana retaliating.  Guess I should have moved bed time up to 8:00p.  Other than that we had a very successful day.

To reward them for their efforts, Monday morning I made them breakfast in bed.  Crepes are a special breakfast event normally reserved for birthdays but I thought they deserved a reward for making Sunday so happy.  It was a splendid start of the week.

 
Lentils

One of my husband’s favorite meals as a result of his mother’s cooking is lentils & rice.  Even with the sausage, carrots, & onions mixed in the thick soup served over rice, it’s not the most exquisite of meals but it’s one of his favorites because that is what he was raised on.  Monday evening he prepared a pot of lentils big enough to feed his family of 14 (well maybe not anymore with 9 men in the family), which was more than enough food for our little family of four.  I think we’ll be eating lentils for a week.  Sadly, our children have never liked lentils in the least so as dinner began, so did the complaints and requests for additional options.  Ramond was quickly done eating and busy with other things so that left me to make sure the kids ate dinner, got some nutrition other than the grapes they were packing away like chipmunks, and learned to appreciate the food they have.  Hard line mommy night.  I tried every tactic, “the Anderson kids love lentils!”, “OK, I’ll put soy sauce on the rice but you have to eat the lentils too”, “eat your lentils & rice or go straight to bed, it’s your choice”, “look, sausages are like hot dogs – they’re cousins in fact”.  I wasn’t making much progress.

Realizing threats & force would not end up in a pleasant evening for anyone; I decided to attract the bees to the flowers rather than dumping soup on their heads.  So I came up with an incentive plan, we needed to go return some videos at the library after dinner so I finally gave them a 10-minute timeline and said if they finished their bowls in that amount of time, we would go get ice cream after the library.

It was as if someone just started a pie eating contest at the state fair.  I’ve never seen Zana shovel food as fast.  She was holding her nose so she didn’t have to taste the food but downing huge olive-green scoops all the same.  She finished her 10-minute bowl with 5-minutes to spare.  Zeth meanwhile was having a hard time turning the corner on his decision whether the ice cream was really that worth it.  I think he only ate about 4 bites total but as time was winding down and I had to decide if he was making enough progress I had to also factor in how Zana would feel after finishing her bowl if he didn’t do the same and still got the treat.

So I delegated the decision and said if Zana thought he did a good enough job, he’d get an ice cream too.  Tough spot to put her in, I know, but she didn’t seem too worried.  She took out a notepad and scribbled a large number on it.  As time expired and he was still working on swallowing his last mouthful, she held up the notepad and proudly declared he had earned an “8” and that an 8 out of a possible 10 is still a passing grade.  The law of mercy in action.  They both passed the test and you never saw two happier kids with their McDs sundaes.  I was so relieved that the bed time ritual of brushing, changing, & reading went smoothly and everyone went to sleep happy.  Until the next time we try to feed them lentils of course…

No comments: