Very few times in my relatively short casual reading career has a book gotten under my skin and into my heart like Twilight by Stephanie Myers. I am a Harry Potter fan and thoroughly enjoyed spending several months absorbed in his 7-years at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry but I really couldn’t imagine myself enjoying a book about vampires. Oh was I wrong about that.
I really don’t have the patience for the suspense involved in reading a series as it’s just coming out one book at a time anyway so it’s a good thing that now with four volumes in print I finally decided to give it a try. Actually, my decision to not bother with the books reversed when we rented the Twilight video a few weeks ago. The story was not at all what I expected, it was much better actually. The movie’s musical score was beautiful & compelling. It was such a good movie we decided to watch the video two nights in a row. A few days later I was eagerly borrowing a tattered copy from my friend’s 12-year-old son.
Unbeknownst to me, I must have just been ripe for a juicy romance and despite the author’s terribly irregular amateur writing style; she has a wicked way with building romantic tension and making you fall in love with these tragic characters and in love with romance in general. She awoke my overly-dormant romantic impulses. My DH is thrilled with the effect it has had on me and suggested I should read Twilight as often as I want. Nothing like a teenage romance to bring an old married couple closer. The buzz is definitely up on this series. At Costco this weekend I picked up book two and ended up having two separate conversations about the series with random strangers who were also buzzing about it.
The author’s notes say her primary influence on the storyline was Pride and Prejudice. No wonder. I’ve watched so many adaptations of P&P to know it’s a favorite. Maybe I’ll actually read that book someday eventually when I grow up. In the snack bar today my heart skipped a beat & fluttered wildly when I saw the label ‘FORKS’ stuck on the utensil cart. This story is seriously under my skin.
I am a ridiculously slow reader normally but I managed to finish the entire first volume easily in 7-days. I went a little sleep-deprived in so doing but it was so worth it. Can’t wait to get the kids to bed tonight so I can start on the second book.
5 comments:
Slimber!
2 years ago i was driving with a friend of mine who is in her late 60's, and she asked "have you read Twilight".
i told her "vampires just weren't my scene. i had LOTS of peeps who'd read it tell me it was great, but i just hadn't risen above my bias against vampires."
she reached into her back seat and picked up her copy. handing it to me, she said "just give it half an hour of your time. if you still don't like it, don't finish it."
so i took it home. it was a staturday night, and i finished it about dawn on sunday. after a short nap, i went to church and then was desperate enough to start the next book that i drove an hour and a half round trip to my SIL's house to borrow her copies of books 2&3...which i read that night and the next night.
So i read the first 3 books in three days...and was annoyed at the end to find out that there would be a fourth book, but that i'd have to wait a year to read it.
so i can understand your pain...but i'm also jealous that you're getting the pleasure of discovering the series for the first time. i love that experience.
i've just finished another round of Jane Austen fan fic. can't get enough of that Darcy & Eliz story. good times. ♥
Hi Anon, After thinking over your experience, I'm glad I got to spend an entire week enjoying falling in love with Edward & Bella. I wish I could have dragged book 1 out longer. I got 130 pages into book 2 last night then my eyes were burning and blurry from all the tears. It was making me depressed and I knew I needed some rest before going to work totally exhausted again. I'm way too affected by this story. I want to get through this one fast. Need to find copies of 3 & 4 quick so I can continue drinking this story in uninterrupted.
Hello, you don't know me, but I hear alot about your family through Kelly! I just wanted to say how much I admire your family and I hope you don't mind me reading along at times!
So just shy of 3-weeks later and I finished reading all 4 books in the Twilight series. I've been completely absorbed and had a fantastic mental break from reality with them. I'm glad I bought all the books cause I can definitely see reading them again someday in the not too distant future.
I hear you! I had a friend bugging me to read the first 3 that were published, and I finally acquiesced simply to get them off my shelf and back to her. Same thing...she's a choppy and long winded writer but she does sharpen up for Eclipse and her storytelling is phenomenal. I was one of the geeks waiting in line for the 4th book to be released. I blogged all about it in my last August blogs...pretty funny stuff!
Post a Comment