Friday, October 24, 2008

After Bath Aftermath

I just love the joy that bath time brings. What mother could deny their kids the thrill of throwing ping pong balls at each other and dousing their sibling with cups of sudsy water. They love their time in the water and I can't say I blame them. Here's their happy squeaky clean faces after one recent bath time.

I'm all energized today because a few days ago I was invited to join in on a local half-Iron Man (triathlon) next month. Turns out it's a team triathlon so each person on the team does only one of the events. I have 'Participate in a Triathlon' on my personal 'Bucket List' and after reading more about this event I knew this was the best starter tri I'll ever find. So I found 3 able athletic friends (all teams are required to supply one volunteer to help staff the event) and we formed a team. I'll be doing the swim portion which entails 3 laps around a buoy in a bay. I'm just a little nervous because I've swum around this particular buoy once and it was no cake walk. I'm not sure what the actual total swim distance is yet but I know it's gonna take a lot out of me. I can't wait.

I've been a swimmer since the age of 12 when I joined my first swim team, the Anderson Aqua Gators, in northern Cali, and have stuck with the sport throughout my life. I'm fortunate to work on a college campus which gives me free access to a pool which is an employee benefit I can't put a price tag on. I have been swimming laps during lunch time 3-days a week pretty regularly the past several months so I have a good base to build on. Today I set my baseline and swam one mile in 35 minutes.

In reviewing my daughters homework assignment recently, I got hung up on one word she misspelled and couldn't figure it out until I read the whole sentence. This explains why she usually mispronounces "problem" and it comes out more like she spelled it. I love how she says it and don't want to correct her on this one just yet.

3 comments:

Blue said...

three cheers to the smiliest kids on the planet! and to their rock star momma! i think you must secretly have gills!
♥ to you swimber!

Mikybarb said...

Wow! You are an Iron Woman! I love the cute photo of the kids. I never thought about giving the kids ping pong balls - what a great idea! I know what you mean about the way they pronounce things - my youngest still says "grabity" for gravity. Pretty much his last mispronounced word, and I love it.
Good luck with your swim!

Karina said...

gah!!!!! beautiful babies! I'm tearing up, they are freaking beautiful!!!! LOVE IT!