Thursday, October 9, 2008

Lucky 13

Keeping with the tradition for a little while longer, Zeth is 13 months old today and it's time for a little update on his progress and activities. Up to this point the word Mama has only come out of his mouth on rare occasions of extreme need. I'm usually referred to as Dada, Baba or my personal favorite, Yaya. But this week, he's been catching on and using Mama a lot more much to my delight. He's a smart little jokester though, he knows how cool I think it is so he plays with me and refuses to say it but instead gives me a dramatic head turn away tease or responds by calling me Dada again. I think he knows he's being funny cause he gives me that little giggle that just says, 'Haha, I'm playing with you!"

While walking, climbing, throwing and dancing have come fairly naturally to him, growing teeth has been his biggest challenge. He finally got his 3rd tooth a week ago and #4 will be coming soon, I hope. This week I also noticed he's starting to try to sing along with music. Like during General Conference last weekend, every time the Mo Tab started singing, they had his full attention and he would try to sing along. So cute. He loves playing the piano too.

I learned something new about yeast infections a couple weeks ago. I thought the week following his 1-year immunizations Zeth was having a reaction to the shots or maybe he was just teething really hard or a combination of the two because his mouth was swollen and unusually red inside. After a few days I noticed what looked like blisters and he was obviously very uncomfortable. At the same time he had diaper rash which is pretty uncommon for him. So off to the doctor we went. Turns out he had yeast infections in his diaper and in his mouth! I had never heard of an oral yeast infection. So we went through 10-days of medicine 4-times daily which he hated but he has improved a lot. His mouth is still a little pink but it's looking better and he's not fussing anymore. Thank goodness. The things you learn as a parent.

1 comment:

Mikybarb said...

Kimber, how funny. Just last night Squish and I were talking about his first word, "Dada". I was pretending to be sad that it wasn't Momma, and he thought it was hilarious. Ah, how we entertain the kiddos.

Poor Zeth getting 2 infections and teething! What a brave little guy! I'm so glad he's feeling better.

Thanks for sharing the pics of your beautiful family! It's so fun reading about what's going on in your lives - you have a great site!
Love, Barb