Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Yes on Prop 8

I don't live in CA but I feel it is every American's responsibility to get involved, stay informed and spread the word about what Prop 8 on the ballot next month in CA means for all of us. “The door’s wide open now. It’s gonna happen, whether you like it or not!” unless we all do something about it.

If this proposition fails to pass, a huge house of cards will crumble and all sorts of freedoms we have today will be attacked. In my belief, marriage is not just about 2 people in love, it's a sacred institution meant for one man and one woman to be united in a relationship with God at the head. Homosexual couples are within their rights to chose their partners but it is not their right as a minority group to redefine the institution of marriage for everyone to fit their lifestyle. This proposition is not about punishing same sex couples or taking away their civil liberties, it is, among other things, about protecting every American's freedom of religion, of speech, of moral standards taught in public schools, and certain service agencies ability to continue to pursue their objectives and not be sued for discrimination.

When the same issue was pounding on my state's door some 10-years ago, I stood in support of the fight for traditional marriage and am happy to say that it worked in my state. So the gay and lesbian agenda organizers packed up and went looking for another cracked door to open in a different state. This time it's California's turn to take a stand on a political issue so important to all that I believe in. While I can't vote for the measure in CA, I hope you will if you are a resident.

Even if/when Prop 8 passes in CA, I know the issue will just keep moving on looking to pass in another state, but we as individuals and as a nation cannot just stand ignorantly by and do nothing. Please spread the word and get involved.

5 comments:

Laura's Linoleum said...

I'm finding out that some people in wards across the country are getting callings to spread the word about Prop 8... rather than just in California. My husband and I have decided to possibly home school or move to another state if this doesn't pass. What a world!

Anonymous said...

I guess it comes down to whether you believe homosexuality is a choice. I believe it is something you're born with, and hence not a choice at all.

Kimber said...

Ahhh my advocate friend. I should have known you'd express a different perspective.

I agree with you that homosexuality is a tendency people are born with; The same way I see a myriad of other challenges people are born with that are not a choice but the cross that each of us is given to bear. For me this issue boils down to sex and the law of chastity. Living a chaste life is not only a challenge or burden for homo- but as well as for heterosexuals who may never get the chance to marry in this lifetime. Heck, even for some straight individuals and couples it can be a heavy burden to choose to live a chaste life. Love and fidelity between gays doesn't change the fact that marriage is an institution for one man and one woman.

This may seem a complete contradiction to my opinion on marriage, but I have nothing against gays having certain legal rights as couples. Still the institution of marriage between a man and a woman must be protected. If we allow for shades of grey to enter the interpretation of marriage, there will be no end to the ramifications to our society.

Prop 8 is simply a clarification of what the divine institution marriage is. It is not about denying gays their free agency to choose their partner. It is, in my humble opinion, about preserving what's right in the sight of God.

Mikybarb said...

Wow. Really well said Kimber.

We're leaving the country for our vacation at the end of the month and will come home after the election. I keep wondering what we will be coming home too.

Thanks for spreading the word!

Kimber said...

I am so relieved that Prop 8 passed in CA this time around. What a wild controversy. This truly is one of those issues that will try and sift the Lord's people.

Allow me to clarify one thing on my previous comment, I meant to say that I believe homosexuality is a tendency that *SOME* people are born with, others are swayed by societal labeling and yet others are tempted and deceived into succumbing to that lifestyle by the adversary.

I'm relieved to say I've never been tempted by it myself. While I strive to respect everyone's rights & free agency, I'm strongly adhered to the hetero-end of the pendulum.