Sunday, April 20, 2008

Why do they do that?

Something I've heard people say frequently throughout my life came up again tonight and it just struck me as funny. A woman told me her age, "I'm 26, turning 27." Now, I apologize if you're one of those who feels the need to remind others how to count in succession, but I just don't understand the need for the "turning 27" part. As if she was planning on skipping that year and going straight to 28?

I've listened to people introduce their entire large family in this same fashion and never once has any of them planned on any of their kids miraculously skipping the next year of their life on their birthday. Now, being the mother of an adorable 5-year old who seems to be going on 13 pretty quickly, I get why someone may mention that in jest but I still wonder why people sometimes feel the need to bring up the next number in the sequence of their age for no apparent reason. Talk about counting your chickens...

4 comments:

Blue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jennifer said...

I am 35, but will be turning 32 for the 5th time on my next birthday? Does that make it OK? Haha! :)

Kimber said...

Darling Jennifer - you can still pull off 32 (29 for that matter) so you just go right ahead celebrating being young. What's a couple years anyway in your mid-30s? Thanks for your comment - good to know you stopped by for a visit.

Now as for you my dear Blue, I'm not saying I've never speculated on future hurdles and I'm sure once I approach the big 40 SEVERAL years from now ;-) I'll probably blow that out of proportion too. Although Ram hit 40 last year and it hasn't changed him much (still can't get his own clothes in the laundry basket and thinks he can out shoot any kid on the court) so I expect it'll be another overhyped non-event in my life.

I'm just grateful for each day I get and don't fear the numbers behind me. (Listen to me being all pragmatic!) But my whole point for this muse was that for non-event years and with no mention of an impending birthday, what's the deal with the "...turning ##" part I've heard so frequently? It's odd. Maybe Jim Gaffigan has a bit on this very topic. :)

Blue said...

i'm a freak, because rather than say how old i actually am (which sounds a WHOLE LOT YOUNGER than the age i will be comin' up), i'm always saying "i'm turning forty this year". what's with that? i've been saying that since 01/01/08 i swear.

this just came to my notice when doc mentioned that he's 38 last saturday. i was caught off guard...because my brain has been on 40 all year, and he's only 5 months younger than me,yet he's still 38.

it would be just as reasonable for me to round down as up. "i hit thirty a while back" would be a fine thing to say...and would make me feel much more like a spring chicken. thanks for the reality check on this matter. i needed it.
♥,
blue~who celebrated her 29 forever birthday in the fairly recent past